Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Cat Grooming School - Day 2

So day 2 is over and my head hurts!! Today we learnt how to check the temperament in a cat before grooming them, we also had a demonstration from Danelle on how to do this with a cat in the carry crate - she certainly made it look easy (mind you she used her own cat, not a cranky pants one :) ) We also heard some fun (really scary) stories about terror cats and how to handle them! Tomorrow we will actually start the hands on with one cat - should I take a photo of my arms now before and one after?!?!

We also looked at a number of common feline illnesses and diseases and how to determine whether a cat is healthy enough to groom and accept into the salon. I am so grateful for this knowledge as there are a number of issues with cats that can be a problem and I am sure there are a number of groomers out there who are not aware of them!





My next assignment is to research Feline Infectious Peritonitis (FIP) and give a report on it next week before our health exam. We got to choose the disease we wanted to research and I chose this as it is highly contagious and always fatal so I wanted to know as much about it as I could!

After the health section Danelle gave us some business advice on running a professional cat grooming salon. If anyone has the inside on this, it is Danelle. She has been grooming cats exclusively for 13 years and she is pretty good at it. I am glad I am learning from the best and I am getting all the inside information and learning from her mistakes so that I don't have to make them myself.

I am getting very excited about the addition of cat grooming. My opinion has certainly changed and I am a firm believer in cat grooming and its benefits for the cat and owners! I am also excited that I will be coming back to Queensland as the first and only Certified Feline Master Groomer in the state! (fingers crossed I pass all the exams!)

No comments:

Post a Comment