Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Cat Grooming School - Day 1




Well day 1 was pretty full on. After doing a dry run yesterday I made it to class with plenty of time to spare. I met the other 4 students who are doing this weeks part of the course. One from Hong Kong, one from Canada and the other two from the US.



We learnt some basics about why cats need grooming and the benefits of it. Then we went into depth looking at breeds and colours. Did you know that there are Dominant and Dilute colours - eg Black is dominant and Blue is the dilute form of black. A dilute coat will be a lot wispier and have a denser undercoat so is more likely to matt and requires more frequent grooming than a cat who has a dominant coloured coat.

We also looked into some of the 41 breeds of cats that are approved by the CFA (Cat Fanciers Association). Boy do they get complicated!! Me being someone who thinks that the more simple something is the better really doesn't think the way they add new strains of a breed under a new name very well thought out!! But hey, I'm no expert - just have to make sure I study hard!!

My assignment for this week is to present a 2 page report on a breed of my choice - which I have chosen the Maine Coon. I keep having trouble telling the difference between the Maine Coon and the Norwegian Forest Cat, so maybe this will help!!


We have 2 constant companions in the class




Chloe - or C2

And Monica.



This is a close up of the creative groom Danelle did on Monica at a grooming expo last weekend. Some of the things they can do on cats is amazing, but not something I am interested in doing.









I tried some recommended food for lunch from Pete's down the road who apparently make the "best" hamburgers. hmmmm I may need to give them some tips on what constitutes a good burger. It certainly looks and tasted like typical American food. I think I will have to try some typical southern fried chicken though at some stage before I go.


So It looks like there will be some intense studying to get the hang of all these colours and breeds - here's hoping I pass first time!

No comments:

Post a Comment