Saturday, April 30, 2011

Cat Grooming School - Day 5

Today was the last day of week one. Was a bit surreal to be half way through the course so far, but that didn't last long as there were cats to groom! I had 2 cats to groom today before our temperament and handling exam.

First cat as a big, FAT heavy red tabby named Monkey and he certainly was in need of a groom. As you can see from the photos below his coat was horrible and greasy and full of dandruff. Monkey was a shy cat and pretty easy to maneuver around the table. I put "soft paws" on his back paws (front paws had been de clawed - which is VERY common and I am having trouble with that one!!) Soft paws are a great idea - little caps are glued over the nail and they protect people and their furniture from being shredded! Definitely have a lot of customers who will be interested in this one once I get back home. You can also get them for dogs - a great solution for all those people with hard wood floors that the dogs scratch up!

After a practice sanitary clip, 1/2 belly and full belly shave it was into the bath to scrub all that dead hair dandruff out of his coat. The bath was fine - the dryer was where things got interesting. Monkey wasn't a bit fan and he let me know about it!! My first cat bite - not as bad as I thought it would be. Stung a bit, bit it's all good!

Look how good Monkey looks after his bath and blow dry - amazing difference!
My first cat bite :)


Another Lion cut - starting to get the hang of this!

My next cat was "Annie Rexic" a pretty little calico Japanese Bobtail mix (no tail!!). Very little skinny thing. From one extreme to the other today. She was a little wary of the groom and was very twisty.
Because of the lack of tail, at the owners request I needed to create a bunny tail out of the around the backside - was a little tricky but got there in the end.

Another Lion Clip under the belt!

Bunny Tail :)
After the grooms we had our exam and will find out the results on Monday. I think I did ok - well I hope so! This weekend will be filled with sightseeing through Greenville Sth Carolina and studying for our breed and colour exam next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment